Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) is treatment with 100% oxygen under pressure to promote healing. HBOT is a highly effective adjunctive therapy treatment that helps maximize recovery and relief for these and other conditions:
- Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI, concussion)
- Memory loss
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Spinal cord injury
- Neuro-degenerative disorders
HBOT can have a beneficial effect on the treatment for Multiple Sclerosis (PDF download)
HBOT and Concussion
Did you know that HBOT is the most effective treatment presently available for concussion (TBI)? Athletics is not the only profession where TBI happens. Think about veterans, police officers, firemen and mineworkers. Concussive blast injuries are far too common in their professions, too, and HBOT has proven an effective treatment.
According to a multi-center study by the International Hyberbaric Medical Foundation (IHMF), over 300 traumatic brain injury and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) patients, mostly veterans, who received HBOT, have returned to a quality of life not seen from traditional or DOD medical treatment. Within 40 treatments per patient, the IHMF has seen brain-injured veterans and civilians reach “clinically significant” recovery thresholds.
Hear the Honorable Patt Maney, Brigadier General, USAR (ret.) discuss his TBIs and HBOT therapy, and how it saved him and his career.
How does HBOT Work?
- The patient spends about an hour in a hyperbaric chamber, breathing pure oxygen under pressure.
- Oxygen saturates the body’s tissues, even reaching those areas with low blood supply and typically low oxygen.
- Without drugs or surgery, over multiple treatments the oxygen flow stimulates the body’s own natural healing procsses. From a medical and biological perspective, HBOT:
- Promotes release of stem cells from the bone marrow.
- Promotes revascularization.
- Creates a hyperoxic (high oxygen) state, which results in intracellular free radicals that up–regulate some genes and down–regulate other genes to promote healing reactions.
- Promotes direct intracellular healing.
- Promotes detoxification.
- Can help your body fight infection.
For more information on Tucson, Arizona’s NorthStar HBOT and Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy in general, see our HBOT FAQ page.